Friday, April 29, 2011

A Quick Update

This week hasn't been terribly exciting, but I've got some pictures and I'll give a quick update. First, Easter Sunday was a lot of fun. I woke up early and made three trifles for our group and they turned out well. I tried to whip heavy cream, but it turns out that it won't whip well when it's been stored at room temperature. So instead of making whipped cream, I made the mistake Mom always warns me about and made butter. The kitchen ladies were amused, but I couldn't believe a Dairy Princess emeritus could make that mistake.


Lunch was absolutely delicious; we had chicharones (which are basically pork ribs), an amazing zucchini casserole, yucca and lots of juice and trifle. It was a really nice Easter lunch, despite not being with my family.


After lunch, we decorated Easter eggs and, later, our professors hid them for us. It was amusing to try to explain the purpose of an Easter egg hunt to people who grew up in a culture that doesn't "do" egg hunts. I found... 0 eggs. But my friend Anya found 4 and a palm tree branch fell on her head. She was fine, and it was the most eventful egg hunt I've seen in a while.
Our poster presentation was Wednesday morning. We presented to the staff at the biological station, local doctors and some local indigenous groups (because some of my group did projects in the indigenous territory). It went well and I was proud of the straight lines in our poster. Here's a photo of my group- Jane, Thomas and Ashley, next to our lovely poster.


We spent Thursday and today, Friday, writing the final paper, which I'm about to submit, and packing! We're hitting the road for our surprise weekend at 7am tomorrow and I can't wait! Here's one last photo from the hike I took to our little waterfall with some friends this morning.


There's a chance my next entry will be written from Los Estados Unidos!! Pura Vida everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment